Your skin is oily when..
- Your sebaceous glands produce an excessive amount of oil that builds up on your skin and causes breakouts
- Your pores are enlarged all over your face
- Your skin is shiny
- Your complexion is often dull and lifeless
- Your skin is still elastic and soft so the wrinkles develop slowly
Breakouts have many different causes which are better explained here (blog post coming soon) and require a more holistic* approach to be tackled from all fronts.
It is important to lightly exfoliate oily skin, as the buildup of oil can cause dead skin cells to become trapped in the pores and lead to acne blemishes. Avoid using harsh exfoliants and avoid exfoliating too often as this will only contribute to pimple irritation.
* In this case, a holistic approach means taking into account lifestyle changes (food habits, sport habits, sleep habits, skincare habits, etc.) as a whole to help balance your skin.
What we recommend for you:
- Cleanse your skin with plain lukewarm water (not hot, not cold)
- Apply an anti-acne treatment (coming soon) or a light matifying lotion
- Optional: apply your makeup as usual and don’t forget your Sublime My Lips – Lip Tint
- Remove pollution and impurities (and makeup) from your skin with our Cleanse My Skin – Anti-Pollution Cleanser
- When you breakout: mix 1 table spoon of epsom salt in a small bowl of warm water. Damp a cotton in the water and apply over your spots. Leave for a few minutes and rinse with plain water. Follow by your usual skincare routine.
- Once a month, apply our Purify My Skin – Exfoliating Mask
- Apply an anti-acne treatment (coming soon) and look for ingredients such as niacinamide, vitamin C, salicylic acid and anti-inflammatory herbs.
Do not panic if you do not see immediate improvements. It will usually take around 1 month before you see a difference.
A few tips to try – remember that there is no one-size fits all solution so it will be a lot of ‘trial and error’ before you see what works best for you.
Tip 1: Try cutting ‘dairy+sugar’ or ‘eggs+red meat’ from your diet completely (with no exception) for at least 2 months. After that period, reincorporate them into your diet in small amounts and see if your skin breaks out within a few days or not.
Tip 2: When drying your skin with a towel, pat, don’t rub.